Hooray for Friday and Fourth of July weekend!!! Brandon has a half day at work today and we’re both off Monday, so I’m super excited for a long weekend. We’re hoping to hang out with some friends and get out of the city for a bit, since DC can get a little cray on the Fourth (as I’m sure you can imagine).
Let’s hop into some things I’m loving!
1. Overnight Oats. You guys know I love me some protein oatmeal; however, hot oatmeal is not my jam when it’s 80 degrees out. Enter: overnight oats! I love this breakfast, especially in the summer. Coming back from a hot run to a cold, already prepped breakfast is amazing.
2. Deb’s Cooking. I know I’ve shared my love for my momma’s cooking on the blog before, but they just left to go back to Florida yesterday morning (sad face), so I feel compelled to share again what a fabulous cook she is. It was so nice coming home from work (before summer break started) and not having to worry about making dinner, because Deb already had a fabulous menu planned. I was super spoiled this time since she made one of my favorite things, soft shell crabs, not once but twice for me! Yum yum.
3. Reuniting with Friends! Brandon and I went to a Nats baseball game Tuesday evening with a pretty awesome group of people. I met some pretty amazing ladies during my friend Marisa’s bachelorette last summer in Savannah, and I got to see their beautiful faces again! One of the girls lives overseas, so it was especially fun to see her.
4. Summer Cooking. One of the many nice things about my summer schedule is that since I’m usually home earlier and have Friday’s off, I’m able to cook some nice dinners for Brandon and I. Normally I’m scrambling once I get home when school is in session and rely on my Crockpot or easy dinners, but I like being able to cook nice meals. Tuesday, I made roasted salmon and asparagus, alongside quinoa with cherries, feta, red onion, parsley and scallions.
5. The Perfect Avocado. I just realized 99.9% of this post so far is food related and I ain’t mad about it. But earlier this week, I sliced open an avocado and it was glorious.
Now moving on to my new addiction! You guys know I’ve been easing back into my runs, and running will always be my #1 love when it comes to fitness. But, Wednesday morning I tried a Pure Barre platform class with Courtney (who is a Pure Barre fanatic), and I think I’m hooked. It was hard, but I loved the energy. And it focuses on toning your core/glutes/legs which is perfect for runners! There’s a studio four blocks from my house, and I’m already signed up for a Tuesday morning class next week. I can’t wait to see the long term benefits!
And there you have it! Hope you guys have a great weekend!
What are your Fourth of July plans?
Any other Pure Barre addicts out there?! Have you noticed the long-term benefits?
Favorite summer breakfast?