What I Ate Wednesday+I Ran One Mile!

Happy hump day!  And welcome to my second WIAW post!  I always think WIAW posts are fun, since hello, it’s all about food.  But before I start talking about food, I wanted to share that I ran a mile Tuesday morning!!!

I can’t tell you how happy I felt running.  There’s still just a teeny bit of tightness above my ankle, but no pain.  I’m going to take it slow and ease into building my mileage and pace back up.  Also, love my new Saucony Triumph ISO 2’s!  So comfy and light, with plenty of cushion for my tootsies.

Breakfast:

Breakfast is, without a doubt, my favorite meal of the day.  I start thinking about what I want to eat the second I’m awake.  I seriously don’t get people who don’t eat breakfast–that concept is just alien to me.  Since the temps are rising, breakfast was all about the return of the protein smoothie!  Don’t get me wrong, I love oatmeal, but the thought of a hot breakfast when it’s 80 degrees outside just isn’t appealing to me.

I combined frozen strawberries, 1/4 avocado, spinach, protein powder, unsweetened cocoa powder and almond milk.  I love adding avocado to my smoothies to make them extra creamy, plus the healthy fats keep me fuller longer.  I feel like the finished product of my smoothies never looks appetizing though.

But even if it looks like puke, it tastes delicious!

Lunch:

I almost always pack my lunches during the week to save some dinero.  And it’s almost always salad!  I know a lot of people think salads are boring or ‘rabbit food,’ but I love them and think you can make them filling by adding chicken, sweet potatoes, or whatever else you want.

I love adding avocado, cashews, dried cherries (I love that TJ’s has dried unsweetened cherries!) and some sort of protein.  I ended up adding a veggie burger to my salad, then topped it with my fave dressing from TJ’s.  The honey thyme balsamic is so good!

After lunch, I snacked on a dark chocolate walnut, peanut, fig and date bar.  I’m always craving chocolate/something sweet in the afternoon and these are my favorite bars–they’re chewier (AKA easier to eat) than Kind bars, and only have 6g of sugar.

Dinner:

Since Brandon has work stuff going on pretty much every night this week, I’ve just been making easy dinners that require little cooking, which translates into little clean up!  Dinner was a combination of roasted asparagus (I love that you can get pre-trimmed asparagus at TJ’s), spicy Korean chicken sausage, and avocado!

The only thing that sucks about roasted asparagus is I’m not a huge fan of it the next day.  It’s always too soggy and just makes unhappy.  But I hate wasting food so I just end up eating it while washing it down with some wine.

Dessert!:

I almost always have a little treat in the evenings after dinner, whether it’s a piece of dark chocolate or an Oreo (or three).  I bought dark chocolate covered almonds from TJ’s and decided to have a handful of those!

Check out that naughty little sassafras eyeing my almonds!  I told him “no chocolate for doggies!!!!” then gave him belly rubs, so he’s all good.

Have a great Wednesday!

Are you a big breakfast person, or skip it?

What’s in your lunch bag today?

Advertisements

17 thoughts on “What I Ate Wednesday+I Ran One Mile!

1. Tia says:

I am not a traditional breakfast person. Sometimes I’ll eat a PB&J or have a cup of coffee and some nuts. My hubby on the other hand needs breakfast everyday…

2. Jessica @ Fit Talker says:

So happy to hear you are liking the Triumph ISO 2’s. I will need to replace my Triumph ISOs soon and it looks like I may have to go to the next model.
    Also, thanks for the avocado in a smoothie tip, I can always use something to keep me fuller.
    Hooray for Trader Joes!!
    Lunch today is a turkey burger and some tomatoes and cucumbers (sort of a salad). Have a great day!

3. Amanda says:

Breakfast is a definite MUST! Your salad looks so yummy! I love salads too, especially when nuts, dried fruit, and avo are involved.

Yay for running again 🙂

• Amanda says:

P.S. Trader Joe’s should endorse you 🙂 I thought I knew my way around TJ’s but after reading your blog I realize I’m an amateur. You’ve introduced me to the yummy-ness of avocado salsa and thyme honey balsamic dressing…to name just a few! Have you tried the cilantro dressing and the bacon onion vinaigrette? O…M…gaaaaah….so good! The white bean basil hummus is also one of my faves. So much goodness….so little time!

4. Lauren says:

Breakfast is my most favorite meal of the day too!!!! All the best foods are breakfast foods! I like eating it for dinner too! And eggs are my fave, I could eat them all day every day. Your smoothies always look good. I need to start getting into the smoothie thing. And what type of Oiselle shorts are those?? I love and am deciding between the distance shorts and the Lori shorts!

5. Sam @ See Sam Run says:

I’m sorry I just read about your rough race but I’m glad to see you were able to run again! Hopefully your foot/ankle is back to normal in no-time. It’s nice to have some time away from running once in a while, to refresh and such. I always pack my lunch as well, and it’s almost always a salad or leftovers. I’ve never tried cashews on a salad, but I bet it’s wonderful!